Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Hiya, Cupcake!

Okay, so shoot me!  I've been on a foodie mystery novel binge for months now!  I just can't help myself.

First there were the Donut Shop mysteries (see my post from August 2, 2012 titled, "Deep Fried Delights"), those delicious morsels of evil by Jessica Beck.  I charged through eight of those without coming up for air.  Now I'm only waiting for book 9 to appear in December (Due out on Kindle 12/24/12)

Now, there are the Cupcake mysteries by Jenn McKinlay.

I snarfed these pretty quickly as well!

The first three books, in order of their appearance
I must admit that the real draw for me with the Cupcake Mysteries is that they are set in Arizona - more precisely, Old Town Scottsdale.  As I'm a Zonie and quite familiar with the settings for these books, they have proved irresistible to me.
The most recent book in the series, Red Velvet Revenge (see above) was set at a rodeo.  It was a lot of fun.  I mean, for being murder mysteries, they are light on the yucky parts and heavy on the friendships, quirky personalities, and good relationships.  They are just the kind of books you want to occasionally snuggle up with.

Book 5 in the series, titled, "Going, Going, Ganache", is due out in April of 2013.  I'm waiting impatiently.

Dear Jenn, write faster...

All these foodie mysteries are not deep literature, but I firmly believe they serve a purpose.  Sometimes you just need to be taken somewhere not too deep, you know - somewhere fluffy and sweet.

Do you know that place?  That's escapist lit at its best.

And then, I probably should mention this: just like the Donut Shop Mysteries, they come with some great recipes.  Remember recipes?  I think I remember what they are! Those lists of ingredients and directions so you can actually bake the cupcakes yourself, should you be so inclined?  Back in the day I may have baked a cupcake or too.  I am even tempted to try a few of these recipes.

Cool motivation.
Author Jenn McKinlay
As the next book in this series doesn't come out until April, I'm going to have to get my sugar fix in some other way in the meantime.

Come to think of it, there's a little cupcake bakery in Uptown.  I should go check it out!

No comments: