Wednesday, November 9, 2011

First Snowfall

Christian builds his fort with the first meager snowfall of the season
- Photo Courtesy J. Evensen
It's going to be 77 degrees F here in sunny ol' Cali-forn-eye-ay today.  Right now it's in the 40s and really windy.  We're all bundled up here at the office, talking about how chilly it is this morning.

Even so, snow just isn't a possibility - even in the long-range forecast!  Ever.

Having grown up in the eastern part of the United States, I remember well the excitement of the first snowfall of the season.  When you are a kid, it's magical.  Even as a college kid, I remember the whole university town I lived in coming alive for that first snow.  Everyone was outside taking in the wonder of it.  There was excitement in the air.

Compare and contrast that to the last snowfall of the year, if you will...  however, I digress.  After a long hot summer and the falling leaves of autumn, that first snowfall is a beautiful sight.

This past weekend, my brother's family experienced their first snowfall.  My youngest nephew got caught (see above) trying to play in it.  He managed to make a little tiny fort, and one rather huge snowball (see the upper right of the photo), out of the small amount of snow that stayed on the ground.

I, personally, think that shows the kid has gumption, imagination, and a really positive attitude.

Really positive.

I can also state unequivocally I would not like to be on the receiving end of that snowball!

Then, again, it might just have been the torso beginnings of a very small snowman.

I'll have to check with Christian to make sure.

.

No comments: