Friday, November 4, 2011

15 Minutes of Fame?

Visting the Santa Monica Pier recently, I had found a comfortable place to sit, but couldn't understand why so many people were taking pictures of me!  At first I thought maybe they had mistaken me for a celebrity (I have such a glamorous aura, you know!)

But after a few minutes I finally looked up and saw this:


                       

Doh!  So much for my ego. I was sitting right under the Route 66 sign! 

For those of you who may not know, U.S. Route 66 was a famous highway that originally ran from Chicago, Illinois all the way to California, covering a total of 2,448 miles.  It was the highway thousands used to travel west and it was the subject of songs and even a popular 1960s TV show.  It was eventually bypassed by the Interstate Highway System, however in the last few years bits of it have begun to return to maps labeled as "Historic Route 66".  The highway is a big part of American history.

So much for my celebrity!

However, I'm sure there are a few people visiting from Ohio, who will get their photos developed and think, "who the heck is that lady in our picture?"

No comments: