Thursday, December 13, 2012

Fantastic Fog


When you think of fog and foggy cities, Los Angeles is not the city that comes to mind.  Most folks think of London, wouldn't you agree?

And I know most of you don't think of Southern California as being foggy - ever.  But the truth is, being close to the ocean here, we get plenty of fog in the winter months, and every now and then at other times of the year, too.

It's a sign of Christmas coming that we've been getting a lot of fog, even though the actual temperatures are in the high 60s and low 70s (F).  I've started wearing long sleeved shirts. That's my one concession to it being December. And this morning, due to the rain, I threw on a sweater jacket. If you live in the north, please accept my apologies for even having mentioned that.

This past week we've had a lot of fog - in fact, the other day when I took these pictures it was pea-soup thick and you could barely see a 1/2 block ahead of you.  These were the conditions all the way from my home to the office (a 40-45 minute trip by car), and it never did burn off during the day.


Most days you can see mountains in the distance.  Not today!

Okay, I want to reassure you that I have a point and click camera.  No lives were endangered by me taking these pictures.  I'd just hold up the camera, click and hope for the best.  Given the quick and random nature of my picture-taking, these photos didn't turn out too bad (Thank you, Samsung!)
The Paramount/Beverly intersection.
The blue band at the top is my tinted car windscreen
Looks pretty lonely, doesn't it? That's because I caught it during a lull in traffic.   There was a large stream of cars coming towards me, but you can't even see their lights yet in this picture.

Actually, this weather seems like rather cosy, hot chocolate sipping, Christmas shopping kind of weather to me. Guess I've lived here too long!

Just had to share our big, bad gloomy fog with you.  It's sorta cool.

Today it's raining.  Hooray, rain.  It's Christmas time all right!


No comments: