Friday, December 28, 2012

Christmas In New York City

The magnificent Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree
This is the 80th Annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree.  This Norway spruce stands 80 feet tall, is illuminated with 45,000 LED lights and crowned with a Swarovski star.

It was lit on November 28th at a star-studded concert attended by thousands of New Yorkers and tourists.

This tree is a world-wide symbol of the holidays in New York City, but few people know that once Christmas is over, the giant tree is cut into lumber and donated to Habitat for Humanity.

When I learned that, I was so happy!

Rockefeller Plaza
I wish I could say that I had visited the Big Apple this year to see the lights, but I didn't.  These photos are courtesy of my neighbors, who took the photos, told me all about the experience, and are letting me share with you!

It's a lot warmer and more convenient than actually having been there myself... at least that's what I'm telling myself.


THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART
First stop is the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  As you can see there was a special Bernini exhibit there, as well as an exhibit of British Silver.


The museum's Christmas tree
I love all the Renaissance angels on the tree.  It's truly beautiful.  I love the Holy Family there in the middle.  Here is a detail of it.


Bernini clay sculptures
Having seen the wonderful Bernini art works in Rome, Italy, I recognized his style immediately.

In addition to the Bernini exhibit, there were many other wonderful things to see:

Faberge Eggs - Fabulous!

American Artist George Bellows


Furniture and vases from the late 1700s and early 1800s with inlays of turtle shells, pearls, and gems were also on display.  The vase has cobalt blue stain enameling.  I love that time period and the beautiful workmanship of these pieces.


Works by Henri Matisse were also on display
I took one look at the painting above and thought, "Oh, how lovely, a Matisse!"  Then I thought, "Oh, it's been a long time - what if I'm wrong?"

Then I looked it up.

Mom and Dad, you would be proud.  My education was not in vain.  It is a Matisse.

Phew. I was worried for a minute, there.

Medieval British Silver - just gorgeous

Stained glass by Tiffany


The building is as beautiful as the exhibits.  I love this shot of the windows at the museum,
with the New York skyline seen through the glass.

RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL 
No trip to New York would be complete without visiting Radio City Music Hall and seeing the famous Rockettes!

My friends were impressed by how lovely the decorations were, everywhere they went.  So many buildings were decorated - they said it put L.A. to shame.

To hammer home their point, they took this picture of a random office building not far from Radio City Music Hall:

The Christmas Tree in the lobby
As my office building barely managed to put up a few poinsettias in the lobby, I had to agree with their assessment!

SHOPPING
 A good deal of the fun of visiting New York is shopping in all the little shops.


Roni-Sue is actually Rhonda Kave, an entrepreneur and a chocolatier.  Her shop is in the historic Essex Street Market on the Lower East Side.

This is Roni-Sue of Roni-Sue chocolates
Love your work, Roni-Sue...

Love, love, love your work.

Holiday Wreath workshop
Holiday wreaths - I can just imagine how good this must smell!


THE WALDORF ASTORIA
A yummy chocolate fountain from the folks who gave you potato chips, and Waldorf Salad!

Wonder what they'd say if you just stuck your head in there...

Okay, better to order the hot chocolate, perhaps?
I asked Ray if the hot chocolate picture showed hot chocolate from the Waldorf and if it was any good, and he wrote, "Yup.  It was very chocolaty.  Wish I had one right now."

Ummmm.  Me too!

 MORE SHOPPING

Spices from all over the world
The Chelsea market bazaar had little shops with all kinds of fun things to buy.

Pop Karma - Popcorn snacks that are good for you
According to the co-owner, Wendy, this popcorn shop has only been open for five months, but they are doing well.  It seems to be a great hit!

Inside the Pop Karma
They make the popcorn fresh daily.  Their Popcorn flavors? How about: 

Classic Mediterranean: organic extra-virgin olive oil and sea salt (vegan); 

Zen Cheddar: Simple pure white cheddar goodness (Vegetarian); 

Pure Carmel: a light coating of real caramel at its best (Vegetarian).  

Then there's the Seasonal Popcorn:  

Porcini Cheddar: deep fall flavor that celebrates the forest’s bounty (Vegetarian) with dehydrated Porcini and shitake mushrooms; 

Masala: (The riotous flavors and colors of India blend harmoniously into Popcorn (Vegan); 

Gingerbread Stout Caramel: The Yuletide in popcorn, with sugar plum fairies on your tongue (Vegetarian).

Seeing their flavors, I realized I already make something similar to their Masala popcorn!  (Garam Masala and a bit of spicy curry makes for a wonderful spiced popcorn.)

Yes, I'm a huge fan.  I love popcorn.

Yum.

I would have loved visiting here.
Wendy, the lady behind the popcorn counter
My neighbors really liked this bright young woman and were impressed by her popcorn professionalism.  (Well, they said she was really nice! and the popcorn was yummy.)

THE THEATRE
A visit to New York just simply must include some theatre.  It's the law.  Here are a couple of shows that are playing right now:

A fun show for the holidays - you pick the ending
I saw Edwin Drood at the La Habra Depot theatre some years ago.  It's a very fun show!

My friends also fit in the revival of perennial favorite, Annie.

Who doesn't like Annie?
Seeing that sign, don't you just feel like singing, "Sun'll come out - Tomorrow!"

Okay.  I confess, I saw it and had to hum a bar or two.

A SOMBER NOTE
Visiting the 9/11 Memorial is not exactly a fun thing, but my neighbors found it beautiful and very moving.  They had to stop for a moment when they came to this name:


Somehow reading the name 'Helen Crossin Kittle and her Unborn Child' moved them to tears.  It just makes you stop and think how our lives can be changed in the blink of an eye - forever.

New York is an interesting and vital city with lots of things to see and do.  My friends crammed a lot into the long holiday weekend they were there.  I'm glad they were willing to share with us!

Hope you are enjoying the holidays, too!

-Photos courtesy G.D.Leigh and R.Fry

1 comment:

Marybeth said...

I so enjoyed this post. Glad they let you share this with the rest of us.