Monday, July 30, 2012

The 30th Olympiad

 I love the Olympics.

I'm not a huge sports fan, and certainly not an athlete, but I have a special place in my heart for the Olympic games.  I watch them avidly.  And... even though I'm more partial to the winter games, which I blame on my Norwegian heritage... I am just enjoying the heck out of watching NBC's excellent coverage of the current games.  

Yes, I will admit it.  I've been pretty much glued to the TV since the Queen announced the games were open on Friday night.

Me in my Olympic shirt
I got my Olympic shirt off the NBC website last month, so I could be dressed appropriately while I watched.  (They have great service, by the way.)

Okay, I've admitted before what a total geek I am.  Now you have photographic evidence!

[Speaking of Her Majesty, long ago I played the Queen as the emcee of a Ward talent show.  I did a pretty good job, too, if I do say so myself.  I'm not sure the Queen would have approved.  But, you never know.  
Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II
Pretty in Pink
I had a few people trying all night to make me break character.  I nearly had to have them executed, or at least sent to the tower in chains... it was a real challenge not to.  I don't know how the Queen herself manages to control herself sometimes... It would be such a temptation.  'You don't like my hat?  Off with your head!'...]

Luckily, as we all discovered on Friday night, she's got a pretty good sense of humor!

Daniel Craig as James Bond
The best bit of the opening ceremonies, I think (and many critics appear to agree with me), was the Queen becoming a Bond girl.  She's an incredibly good sport to have done that bit at all, even with a stunt double!

Of course, that's all everyone was talking about afterwards!  Did you see it?

I have to admit I greatly admire the Queen of England.  She's one of those women who never lets you down.  I wouldn't trade places with her for all her wealth and power.  Yet, she's taken a role in life she didn't ask for, and performed it with a keen sense of duty, and a great deal of intelligence and dedication.

I watched a show where some style "experts" talked about doing a make-over of the Queen.  I beg to differ.  For her age and position, I think she's perfectly dressed.  I shudder to think of her dressed in faddish, or youthful fashions. [Off with their heads for suggesting it!]  She looks great, and, even though I'm a patriotic American, I'll gladly sing, "God Save the Queen" with gusto and totally mean it.
It was a lot of fun to see famous faces at the games, like David Beckham, Mohammed Ali, Mrs. Obama, and of course, my favorite guy, Mitt Romney.


I love it when our American athletes enter the stadium.  I get all misty eyed over them.  Even with their Chinese uniforms and French berets (who comes up with this stuff, anyway?) I felt such pride in my country!

It was so great to see the British team, too.  They have every right to be proud of their country as well.  They're doing a great job of hosting these games.  I love Britain, too.  I count myself lucky to have had many wonderful visits there.

I have ancestors who came from Devon in England, to America, in the 1620s.  So, I can get excited about them if I want.  It's okay.  I have a gene for it.  It's here somewhere.

There is something magical about the Games.  I feel it when I see the athletes from so many nations, gathered together in peace and goodwill for a few brief summer weeks.  I feel it when a competitor, from a small, obscure country, wins a gold medal.  I can only imagine the sheer joy felt in his home country when that happens.  I feel it when I see the look of joy in a spectator's face and realize I'm seeing a competitor's mom, dad, brother or sister.  I feel it when I see the crowds of cheering spectators lining the roads, watching the bicycle racers.

The Olympics celebrate all that is good about the world we live in - and all about everything that is good in us as human beings.  It's about determination, hard work and excellence.

I get choked up when all the athletes enter the stadium with their various flags.  I think to myself, "Heavenly Father's children are so beautiful!"

Wouldn't it be lovely to keep that warm fuzzy feeling with us all the time, and not just for the Olympics?


No comments: