Monday, July 23, 2012

A Hometown Hero

My friend and coworker, Barbara, wrote me recently to share a proud moment.  Her daughter Katy has been named one of Torrance, California's Home Town Heroes as part of that Southern California city's Centennial Celebration!  What an honor.

All of Barbara's children are currently serving in the military, and we often get requests to pray for them when they are being sent into difficult or dangerous situations.  I'm always happy to do that.  They are all good kids, and great soldiers.  I appreciate their sacrifice and service to our country.  

I also appreciate their Mom's sacrifice and service to our country.  It's not easy having your kids so often in harm's way.

As far as Katy goes, her mom claims she has always said, "Whatever my brothers can do, I can do better, cleaner and faster!"  Her motto is, "I am woman, hear me ROARRRRRR!"


This is perhaps not surprising from a little girl who has always had a poster of Rosie the Riveter in her room while growing up.

At 21, Katy is a Petty Officer Navy Seabee.  She has been in the Navy for 4 years and already has her mechanical engineering degree.  She hopes to also have her civil engineering degree, and maybe more, by the time she's through.  

She's currently working on repairing old machinery for the Navy. Her mom says, "her specialty is old engines.  She's a proud grease monkey, just like her father.  You can always find her sleeping on top of her babies (the huge ship engines) when they are underway."

Good going, Katy!

Petty Officer Katy leading her Division
I am woman, hear me ROARRRRR!
When she's not defending our country, Katy loves to hang out with family and friends.  She is a marvelous cook, who enjoys barbecue, old fashioned Cuban food and a nice Crème brûlée for dessert (Yum!  Me too!).  A graduate of West High School, Katy enjoys playing board games, and visiting historical locations.  She's also got a soft heart for animals.  From what I hear, she would take in every stray she sees, if she could.  

Her mom proudly states, "The women in our family always say they're better than Martha Stewart!  We can cook, clean, do laundry, bear a child and fight for our country!"

I just have to say, "Wow."

Katy's banner is currently flying high on the northeast corner of Madrona and Torrance Boulevard - one of Torrance's busiest streets.

We are so proud of her, and all our Home Town heroes, wherever they may be.  God bless you all.


Long May it Wave



No comments: