Thursday, July 26, 2012

Nerd-vana

Nate Fillion and Joss Whedon entertaining fans of the TV show, Firefly
Just to show you what a geek I really am, I know exactly where I was Memorial Day weekend, 1977.  It was the weekend that the very first Star Wars film, A New Hope, premiered.  I remember, because my friends and I had seen the trailers for Star Wars and were anticipating its release with great excitement. (We sometimes forget how truly different it was from anything we'd ever seen before!) 

I remember because I was at a Star Trek convention, Westercon, in Phoenix, Arizona that weekend, with several of my close friends.  

I remember because one of the speakers that weekend was David Gerrold, the author of that immortal original Star Trek episode, "Trouble with Tribbles", and all he could talk about was having just seen Star Wars - three times!  It had only opened the day before, but that's all anyone could talk about.

Yup.

I'm a geek.  And my geekiness goes WAAAAAY back.

So, this past week, my geek friends and I got together for a mini-ComicCon.  By that, I mean we got together at a friend's house and watched San Diego's famed ComicCon 2012 panel segments from YouTube on a large-screen TV.  It was nearly as fun as actually being there, without the crowds of people and endless waiting in long lines.

A couple of these friends had actually attended ComcCon.  They provided the color commentary.  

It was fun.  In fact, because I'm now old and cranky, it may have actually been more fun than really being there.  But I digress...

.
For those of you in the known Universe who don't know what ComicCon is, it began many years ago as a small Comic Book and, by default, Science Fiction, convention in San Diego, California.  In the intervening years, it has grown to a convention of behemoth proportions.  I think something like 120,000 people attend now [Note: I've since been told it's over 130,000!], and Hollywood has glommed onto it for their nefarious publicity purposes.

Most Comic Book and Science Fiction fans don't mind, because they're film fans, too.

Me, too.

So, of course, we thoroughly enjoyed the Firefly 10-year reunion. An estimated 10,000 fans waited patiently in line to see that panel. In spite of how fun it must have been to see Joss Whedon and the cast in person, I'm rather happy we missed that melee.  And we had a blast watching the Marvel Comics panel - complete with Robert Downey Jr doing his Tony Stark thing right out of the movies!  Those are such fun films.

One thing Elder Nils and I are going to have to do when he returns from Mexico: have a Marvel movie marathon.

Yes.  It's sad, but true.  Nils is a geek, too.  It's one of the things we share.  And it's nice to know that the fannish gene I got made it to the next generation of our family as well.

So, now you know my biggest secret.  Shhhh!  Don't tell anyone!





The Marvel Comic movies include my favorites above, among others

1 comment:

Mark said...

I think you have a typo. You have attendance of 12,000. It's slightly more... Over 130,000.