Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Aunt Betty



Betty Lynn today, well, actually last week...
If Maura’s Aunt Betty looked vaguely familiar to you from the birthday party slide show (see my post titled Surprise of March 8th), it’s because she’s Betty Lynn, the actress who played Thelma Lou on 26 episodes of The Andy Griffith Show from 1961-1966.
Aunt Betty as Thelma Lou
I really need to mention here that my mother loved the Andy Griffith Show and would catch it in reruns in the middle of the day in the early 70s. If I called her at the wrong time during the day, she’d answer, “Can you call back? I’m watching my show”. She told me at the time that she identified with the long-suffering Aunt Bea.

I was young, and disregarded the implications of that remark.  Now I realize she felt lonely and unappreciated!  Well, you know, you grow.
Okay, you still don’t remember Thelma Lou? Then let me add that Thelma Lou was Barney Fife’s girlfriend on the show. She was the perfectly sweet and ever patient girlfriend to the neurotic Barney, played by Don Knotts.

Remember now?

She’s apparently alive and well and living in North Carolina!

In addition to The Andy Griffith Show, Maura and Marcy's Aunt Betty (according to the IMDB – I love the IMDB) also appeared in guest spots on TV shows like Matlock, Barnaby Jones, Little House on the Prairie, Mod Squad, My Three Sons and Family Affair.

Jonesing for the 60s yet?

Good seeing you alive and well, Aunt Betty!

No comments: