Friday, January 11, 2013

The Tournament of Roses Parade


Living about a half hour's drive from Pasadena, it seems a shame not to see the Rose Parade in person.  Maybe I should explain that the Tournament of Roses parade is a yearly tradition in the City of Pasadena, California, since January 1, 1890.

My neighbors took these photos of the fabulous floats.  The floats go on display after the parade, so people can get a closer look at them.

Seeing the floats on TV just does not do them justice.  So, even though I watch faithfully every New Year's Day, I was delighted by these 'up close and personal' views of the beautiful flowers.  I'm told the fragrant floats smell just heavenly, too!

The Cat in the Hat, and friends
Keep in mind that the rules state the floats have to be covered in all organic materials!



This year's Tournament of Roses Parade was truly a treat for the eyes, with 42 flower-covered floats, 23 marching bands and 21 equestrian units (groups on horseback).



The parade is seen by millions worldwide in more than 200 international territories and countries.


The football game it precedes, known as the Rose Bowl, was actually added in 1902 to help fund the parade!

I had no idea.  I think I always assumed that it was the other way around.




As you can see, there are thousands of people in line to view these beautiful creations!


Traditionally, the parade is never held on a Sunday.  I am so glad for that tradition, begun by the parade's founders.






This depiction of the Korean War memorial really touched me.  It was beautifully rendered in flowers, grasses, nuts and seeds.
















Waves of Roses!

The next float was international, with buildings from all over the world.
The Kremlin never looked so good...



Yup, that's a spotted Egyptian pyramid in front of the Dutch windmill.

Wells Fargo is a large California bank

Oh, the places you'll go!
This phrase from Dr. Seuss was the theme of the parade this year


I learned that all the flowers on these floats later get made into potpourri and sold for charity.  I'm glad they serve a beautiful and useful purpose until the very end!





So ends Part I of the Rose Parade floats.  Stay tuned for more on Monday!

I know we're a couple of weeks in already,  but hope you're having a Happy New Year!

No comments: