Thursday, January 17, 2013

Chim in Winter



In my post of October 16, 2012, I introduced you to Chim the snow leopard at the Hogle (Utah) zoo.  It's been very cold in Utah recently, but Chim and his mom Nema don't mind the cold, snowy weather.  They are snow leopards, after all!

These cats come from the Asian highlands and are quite at home in winter weather.

Hey guys!  Wanna play?

Chim likes to play
Chim and his mom are pretty active, playing in the snow.  Chim likes to practice hunting wild prey by attacking his mom.  She tries to be gentle with him.

It's all in good fun.

Gotcha!
Playing attack cat with a patient mom
Okay.  I'll admit it.  I love cats.  Big ones.  Little ones.   It doesn't matter. I just want to run my fingers through their fur, stroke their little bellies and scritch them under their cute little chins.

And hug them...

I don't think I should try that with these guys.  They look all sweet and cuddly, but they are still wild animals.

Even if they sometimes look like this:

Sweet baby Chim with his mom
 Chim is getting a lot bigger than he was when we last showed pictures of him!

But he's still a baby.

You will notice his little pink tongue sticking out.  In cats that I know, that's usually a sign they are happy and content. You can see the love this mother and son have for each other.

I'm a ferocious hunter.
Okay, I'm playing with my tail in the snow!
When mom grows tired of Chim's play, he decides to attack his tail.  (I think he's pretending it's a tasty rabbit. What do you think?) Like all cats, he is a resourceful little boy!

Chim and his mom Nema in the snow
The Hogle Zoo has an annual Cats and Cocoa day, encouraging visitors to come visit their cats in the winter.  This year, storm Gandalf (see post on January 15th) let up just enough for my friends to attend.

I think these animals are so beautiful.

Chim is growing up fast and will probably only stay with Nema a few more months.  Then, Chim will leave the Hogle for a special place of his own.

Thanks, Meldee, for sharing your photos of these beautiful animals!

1 comment:

Marybeth said...

Beautiful animals!!!