Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Anything Goes!

Rachel York and the cast in a rousing production number
One of my Christmas presents this year was a night at the Ahmanson Theatre to see Anything Goes!, a revival of the Cole Porter musical by the Roundabout Theatre Company from New York.

Anything Goes! The excellent cast wowing the audience
There were only a few days left to see this show, as it was nearing the end of its run at the Ahmanson.

I'm sure glad I got to see it!

This production was directed and choreographed by Tony Award-winner Kathleen Marshall.

Even though I'd had a long day at the office, that evening as I sat in the theatre, I found myself smiling from the moment the curtain went up.  I so thoroughly enjoyed this production, I couldn't stop myself from laughing out loud throughout!

One of the funniest numbers was "The Gypsy in Me".  It was wonderfully silly.  A comedy gem.

Rachel York and Edward Staudenmayer perform
"The Gypsy in Me"
 There were so many familiar songs.  One of these is "Friendship", which has been used in many films.

Rachel York and Fred Applegate perform
"Friendship"

Erich Bergen and Rachel York perform
"You're the Top"
Another old favorite is "You're the Top".  I couldn't help but think of Fred Astaire.

"You're the Top"
I loved the costumes, too!  Everything was beautiful. The music divine.  The performances top-notch.  It was everything you could want in a vintage musical.


Erich Bergen and Ms. Alex Finke's performances were
"Delightful - Delicious - De-lovely"

On a personal note, I am lucky to have crossed the Atlantic five times by ship back in the day when people did that sort of thing.  I don't think a lot of folks can say that.  Now everyone uses airplanes, unless you've scheduled a leisurely cruise on the QE2!  But back in the day, everyone traveled by ocean liner.

In an odd way, this show brought back so many memories!  

My late father was a Yale man and proud of it.  He would often sing, "Bull dog! Bull dog!  Bow-wow-wow! Eli Yale!" and "Boola Boola" in the shower.  

In case you're wondering, these are vintage Yale songs.  My stepmom will attest to the fact that she thought my father had made all this nonsense up.  My dad finally called his brother, my Uncle Wendell, to prove they were really Yale songs.  Of course, they were living in Europe at the time, and Wendell did not take kindly to being awakened at 3 a.m. to settle this dispute!  Daddy was always forgetting the time difference when he called me, too, so that was nothing unusual!  However, Wendell, also a Yale man, was able to verify over the phone that my father had not made those songs up.  They were real.  They were timeless.  They were... Yale.

So, when one of the characters launched into the Yale man routine ala Daddy, I was in stitches.  It was so much like my Dad's rendition that I almost fell off my chair laughing.  Of course, Cole Porter was a Yale man, so it didn't surprise me.

It was just delightful.

Characters Ms. Sweeney, her "Angels" and the 1930s-style Paparazzi

Public Enemy Number One!

I loved this blurb from the program notes:


I can personally vouch that Mr. Haimes is not lying in the above statement about 'leaving the theatre humming'.  As I sat out in front of the Ahmanson following the show, I realized that all around me folks were humming the tunes we had just heard.  One couple had even joined arms and was dancing past me while singing a number from the show to themselves.

I'm not too proud to admit I was humming them myself.

It is certainly one of those shows that lends itself to that.  I dare you to not tap your toes or want to sing along with the very familiar tunes.  So many great tunes; so many wonderful dance numbers!

If it comes to your neighborhood, go see it.  What a great evening of musical theatre!

(What a terrific Christmas present!  Am I a lucky kid or what?)

All photos by Joan Marcus.

1 comment:

Kirsti said...

I am green with envy--I would love to see that show!