Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Freezing your patootie?

Waiting for the TRAX in Downtown Salt Lake City
- photo: J. D. Evensen

I am always fascinated by winterscapes like this.  Maybe it's because I live in a warmer, Mediterranean-type clime now, and have previously spent a good part of my life living in the Sonora desert.

In spite of that, I actually have fond memories of living in places that got winter snow.  When I was little it was fun.  Everything is a great adventure when you are a child, of course.  It's mom and dad who have to drive in the mess, go to work and shop in it!  I remember my mother complaining about all my play clothes being wet from the snow, and constantly drying mittens in front of the heater.  I don't remember it being a problem at age 4 or 5 or 6.  It was so much fun to be outside playing in it, building snow castles and making snow angels! I would play until I was tired and cold, then trudge happily home, ready to be fortified by some steaming hot soup, or cocoa or Ovaltine.

Remember Ovaltine?

Mmmmm.  Those were the days.

My brother sent me the above photo yesterday showing the light rail TRAX stop on his way to work.  From what I gather, he takes the train, then walks about a block in the snow, ice and slush to get to work.  (Uphill both ways.)

I submit that there is not much middle ground this time of year.  You're either in a snow, ice and slush cycle such as depicted in this photo.

Or, you're not.

My neck of the woods
This picture isn't entirely correct.  Our skies have been grayer, more overcast and rainy, for a few days, but my small downtown area still looks pretty much like this.

Sorry to even bring this up to all you snow, ice and slush people.

Try to have a nice day, anyway.


1 comment:

Kirsti said...

There's more snow today Marianne, you'll have to get Jay to take another photo! Enjoy your weather!