Monday, January 7, 2013

Returning With Honor



Elder Nils home again!
 Two years can go by pretty quickly.

The Family was a little silly in their enthusiasm
Friday morning our Elder Nils returned from his 2-year mission to Cueravaca, Mexico in all his earthly glory.  His family was pretty stoked.  They were waiting for him at Salt Lake International airport with smiles, signs and sombreros.

And a lot of high spirits.

Coming down to the baggage claim area
I was following along closely with text messages and then I received these photos!  When I got the one of Nils with his sister Linnea, and the simple text: 'He's Here!', I have to admit I spontaneously burst into tears.

Yup, that's me.  NO emotional control whatsoever.

Elder Nils and his sister
Elder Nils had missed his connection to Salt Lake, and ended up staying the night at the airport in Los Angeles.  The airlines kindly comped him a meal and a hotel room.  By the time I heard about all this, it was just too late to go see him, but we were able to talk on the phone.  When I asked him how the hotel was, if it was nice, he replied that compared to some of the places he had been living for the last 2 years, it was luxurious!  Then he added, "And there won't be any gunfire keeping me up at night!"

"Don't be too sure about that," I quipped.  "You're in El Segundo, after all!"

He's Here!
With Anders, Christian and Linnea
With Dad
I love these smiles.

Really, really love them.
With Mom
No, she's not happy at all!
After all the fuss at the airport, he was whisked away home to be fed and to finally have Christmas!

Our Mighty RM
I love it that he's still wearing his white shirt and name tag!  I am reminded of the old Lynn Bryson song where the refrain goes, "Every girl would like to marry - a Return Mission Mormonary!"

Okay, never mind.

Then the family did Christmas all over again!

A new shirt - a non-missionary style shirt!
Woo-Hoo!
He looks pretty happy to me.  Oh-oh.  Next up is the gift I sent  him!
Opening the gift from me
It looks like he thinks it's pretty funny.

Good.

Call him Jayne...
And so, our Elder Nils is slowly (but, slowly) getting acclimated to civilian life.

Welcome back!




No comments: