Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Lovely Christmas Eve

A Sparkly Tree in abstract
Now that the holidays are mostly over (I have one more large party to attend on Saturday, believe it or not!), I can reflect on this Christmas which has just passed.  I live alone, far from any family, but I'm lucky to have good friends nearby.  This year, I spent Christmas Eve with my neighbors.  We've known each other for many years.  It was a great Christmas Eve, much as I remember from my childhood.
Some beautifully decorated cookies
 The cookies were very yummy.
An elegantly set table
 The dinner was yummy, too.
A delicious dinner
We read 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, and the Christmas story from Luke, Chapter 2, much as my dad once did.  Later, we went driving around our little town, looking for Christmas lights.  We were amply rewarded for our efforts.  We found some really beautiful lights!
Looking at neighborhood Christmas lights
My photos do not do this justice at all, but as soon as I get Ray's photos, I'll do another post of just the beautiful lights, so you can see them in all their glory.
Ray going for that great photo
Turning a corner north of Mar Vista, we came upon a street that was like a fairy land.  There are mature trees throughout this neighborhood, trees which bend over the roadway, and there were lights strung through the trees making a canopy of light and color.

In addition, every house we passed had made an effort to put up lights and decorations for the holiday.  The effect was breathtakingly beautiful. Again, this picture doesn't begin to do it justice.

But maybe you can get a teeny idea what it was like...

The Fairy Land above Mar Vista
It's moments like these that you just want to hug people and thank them for taking the time to make a memory like this.  It's hard work to string lights on houses - but to take the time to do the trees on an entire street is a monumental task.  Someone had to spearhead this project, and coordinate with neighbors, and take the time, money and effort to pull it off.

Hooray for all the people that do these kinds of things without any thought of compensation or reward - just to make the world a brighter place.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You grabbed my attention when you wrote, "I live alone," yet your whole post is filled with happiness and joy. You're a positive role model for the rest of us (my parents live far from me too) and thank you for sharing your photos of all the delicious food!