Thursday, August 25, 2011

Still Here

Still waiting for my ship to come in...
Oslo Harbor, 1992
Last week, I had one of those weeks - you know the ones, where nothing goes right and you just wonder what it's all about or if anything will ever get any better.  One challenge after another after another and you feel like saying, Hey, wait a minute! Time out! Just let me catch my breath! 

And then, of course, something  else happens. 

Last night my washing machine died.   It was a watery, sad death, but at least he went quietly, surrounded by his closest friends - my underwear.  May he rest in peace.

I came across a scripture yesterday that was very comforting.  I'd been reading in Alma, in the Book of Mormon, where Alma is couselling his sons and he says this:
...I would that ye should remember, that as much as ye shall put your trust in God even so much ye shall be delivered out of your trials, and your troubles, and your afflictions..                                                                                    Alma 38:5
Now, I ask you, isn't that a great promise?

It's hard to remember that, sometimes, when the world just doesn't seem to be going your way.  However, I'm thankful for the comfort that God can bring at times when things in my life seem hopelessly messed up. 

So, it's up and at 'em.  And maybe that ship will show up any day now!


1 comment:

Marybeth said...

Oh Marianne, I so relate. The ship will come in and sometimes it's when we least expect it. We love you. Have a good day! You can come with me to the laundry mat if you want to.