Friday, August 5, 2011

Dinner of the Iguana

Our Hero
When last we left our intrepid super hero missionary Elder Nils in Altamirano, Mexico, he and his companion Elder Dahl, not content to merely save people from sin... were saving a family of iguanas from a drained swimming pool in the neighbor's back yard...

[you sorta have to read that first paragraph aloud with a deep 'announcer's' voice to make it work.  Think the narrator in the movie, George of the Jungle and try it again.]

After they were successful in their iguana wrangling, a local church member told them that iguanas were very tasty and they should have kept them.  He then told them the next time he had them over for dinner at his house, he would fix iguana.

I remember Elder Nils' comment at the time:  Iguana.  Yum.

Elder Nils and the baby iguana

Well a few weeks have passed, so I asked Nils if he had now tasted iguana.  This is his reply:  "..yes, I did eat iguana, it was delicious, kind of like chicken, mixed with fish."

I ask you - does that sound appetizing?  Ewwwwww.  I think not!

He continues:  "Very tasty, apparently very expensive in the States.  Not too expensive here though, just depends if you can catch one or not."

Very funny, Elder Nils!

Let's see... what's the going rate per pound for filet of Iguana in the U.S.?  Iguana chops?  Iguana burgers?  Anyone?  I'm sorry but I have yet to see any iguana in the meat department at the local Ralph's market.  Maybe I have to check at Stater Brothers or Albertsons or Trader Joe's.

Hey!  If Trader Joe's carries iguana, my guess it will be called something like "Seňor Jose's Medallions of Iguana in a light chipotle sauce with rice". 






No comments: