Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Even Iversen's Family Reunion

Evensen Cousins Karen, Maribeth, Elaine and Jay
This past Saturday there was a family reunion held for all the descendants of Even Iversen, my great-great-grandfather who emigrated from Ringsaker, Norway, at the end of the 1800s.  I was unable to attend, as it was held in Utah, however, I had my intrepid reporters on the scene covering the event.

Everyone was given a nametag and told to put their own names and the name of Even's child that they had descended from.  My brother joked that if his son Nils had been there (that's the Nils who is currently serving a mission in Mexico), his tag would have said Nils Evensen twice.

My brother said it was interesting to see all the photos and things people had collected and to hear their stories.  He writes, "A woman asked me if I would translate a document she had.  It turned out to be the ordination certificate for Nils Evensen [our great grandfather] when he was made a priest on August 15, 1876.  I felt like it was such a privilege to be able to hold that piece of paper.  I thought of everything he had done with his priesthood, from going on missions [he served 2], to serving as a bishop, to raising a righteous family that has, for the most part, remained in the church now for generations.  It struck me that a righteous life can influence the lives of so many people."

No comments: