Wednesday, August 31, 2011

First Day at School

Noah on his first day in first grade
There are a lot of "firsts" we experience in life, and perhaps none so nerve-wracking as the first day of the school year in a new school.  My friend Noah, age 6, had his first day yesterday.  First day in First Grade.  First day at a new school. 

That's a lot of firsts for a 6 year-old.

I love the picture his mom took of him at his new desk at his new school.  His face just says it all, doesn't it? Will I like my teacher?  Will s/he like me? Will someone be my friend? Will I make it through the day?  How soon do we get lunch? (Okay, that was one of my concerns as a child!)

We've all been there, right?

Well, I'm happy to report that Noah likes his teacher and new school, was befriended by someone at lunchtime, and generally had a great day. 

Not bad for the first day.
Mom Barbara and Noah's brother Aaron
Noah's older brother Aaron also had his first day of school yesterday, as did children all over the country.

I don't know what it is about Fall, but each year as September looms into view (Egads! Tomorrow is already the first!) I get this overwhelming urge to go back to school.  I start reviewing school catalogs and thinking of courses I'd like to take.

What's up with that?  Is it just the conditioning of years and years of schooling?  Maybe.

Whatever it is, it doesn't take long before reality kicks in, the feeling leaves, and life goes back to normal.  But I remember those first days of school as a child, the smell of chalk and paste and #2 pencils. 

For Noah and Aaron, and all my friends who are going back to school this week, or went back last week, or are going back next week: have a great school year!

Make your moms and aunties proud.

No comments: