Thursday, August 18, 2011

Please Rain, the Car Needs Washing

Thunderboomers over Monterey Park
This is a photo I took on August 1st.  It was a beautiful day, but hot and humid.  The big fluffy clouds in the distance brought the promise of rain that never materialized anywhere close to me.  It rained plenty in the high desert, though, way out to the north and east of us.

The day after this picture was taken, it was as clear as it could be, yet I came out to my car after work and discovered it had rained just enough to muddy up the car completely.  There is no parking garage where I work, so the car is usually just dusty and covered in tree fronds.  The light sprinkling of rain made it look a mess.

Now, when I lived in Phoenix, you could count on August monsoon weather to wash the car.  I mean, first Mother Nature would get the dust storm whipping through the valley.  That would remove loose dirt and debris from the car.  Then would come the rain.  And not just a gentle rain.  It would drop like 13 inches of water in a half minute, and the car would be pretty spotlessly clean after that.

I miss that.

California weather isn't that cooperative, which means I actually have to pay to have the car washed or drive around in a dirt ball.  Currently I'm driving around in a dirt ball.  This morning the dirt ball suddenly shuddered and died on the way to work, leaving me stranded on a busy street in East Los Angeles.

Thank goodness for Triple A and nice people.

So, my little dirt ball of a car is at the car hospital getting emergency treatment as I write this.  Apparently the prognosis is good.  It will live.  But I have to admit, I blame the weather.  Yup.  I do.

Please rain!



1 comment:

Marybeth said...

Ouch! Sorry! Do you need a ride anywhere? Hope it recovers and returns home to you soon!