Friday, November 15, 2013

Thor's Hammer


Those of you who know me well, know that I love the recent Marvel movies - particularly Thor and the latest and greatest of the films, Thor 2, The Dark World.

It's no wonder I like these films the best, after all, I'm thoroughly Scandinavian.  I have a gene for that.  It has nothing to do with the total babe playing the part of Thor.  Not. At. All.

Mjølnir is the name of Thor's weapon of choice - a mighty hammer - often depicted as having axe-like qualities, which, once thrown, comes back like a boomerang.  It is the perfect weapon for a Viking god of thunder.  The name Mjølnir is thought by some to be etymologically related to the English word mill - and to mean crusher.

Runestone Stenkvista in Sweden, depicting Thor's hammer
The entire plot of the first Marvel Thor film revolves around Odin, the head of the gods, taking Thor's hammer (and power) away from him, telling Thor that he won't be able to wield it again until he is "worthy". During the course of the film, Thor learns and grows through his weakened state and mortal experiences. He at last even lays down his life for his friends, and in doing so, he finally becomes worthy to once again wield his hammer of power and authority.  (The Christ parallels are no coincidence.)

The word Mjølnir written in Younger Futhark runes is really cool, and remarkably symmetrical:


Okay, I felt compelled to share that as a fun thing.

Let's see... where was I?  Oh yes.  This post is actually about Jewelry. (Fooled you! Ha!)

Miniature pendant replicas of Thor's hammer were very popular as jewelry in Viking Age Scandinavia.

Well, one day long ago I found a Thor's hammer in a catalog of Scandinavian stuff and had to have it.  It's a fun thing.  (See Ingebretsen's on-line catalog at http://www.ingebretsens.com.)


Recently, I went to see Thor 2 with a group of friends.  I searched all through my jewelry box for my Thor's hammer.  After all, one buys items such as these for exactly such a purpose!  To my frustration, it was nowhere to be found!

After the film, we all went out to lunch, where I lamented not being able to find my necklace that morning to wear to the film.

Without missing a beat, one of my friends dead-panned, "Maybe you aren't worthy". 

I finally found it!
Have a great weekend, everyone!

No comments: