Monday, August 6, 2012

The IKEA of Shenyang

Being Scandinavian means an occasional yearning for meatballs and lingonberries.  That's why, for our family, being within a reasonable driving distance from an IKEA is a vital component to happiness, no matter where in the world you happen to be.

So my nephew Daniel was happy to report that there is an IKEA in Shenyang, China.  Whodathunk it?
Swedish Meatballs at IKEA Shenyang
It's funny, isn't it?  There are some things in life that just remind one of home.  For me, it can be something simple, like a tube of mustard marked "Sennep", or that can of sardines with a picture of the Norwegian King Olav on it.
An IKEA is an IKEA.  I would know that trademark blue and yellow anywhere
 Smelling cardamom or yeast breads does it for me too.  Oh yum.  But I digress.
Fred at IKEA holding a mazariner kake - or tart
I don't know why, but knowing there is an IKEA close to Daniel and Holly is comforting to me.  I'm glad Livia and Fred are getting some exposure to their Scandinavian heritage as well as their American and Chinese heritage. 

Now, I ask -  how do you Americanize them when they are posted all over the world as they are growing up?  That's an important part of their heritage too.  But I guess that's what 'home leave' is for.  Next year they'll have a few months to soak up American culture (is that an oxymoron?) back here in the States.

In the meantime, let's hear it for Swedish meatballs!

Hooray.

No comments: