Saturday, July 16, 2011

Carmageddon

Okay, I couldn't live in the Los Angeles area without commenting on this weekend's shut-down of a 10-mile stretch of the 405 freeway through the Sepulveda Pass.  It's been a huge media event all week long.

I actually got a call this morning from an out-of-state family member asking me if this shut-down was going to affect my life.  (Thanks, Merlene!)  The answer is, no.  But, it's the thought that counts, right?

I personally think this will be one of the great non-events of the year.  So far, life has been uneventful around here.  Most people got the word and are staying home.  It's nice, actually.  Of course, I'm too far east of it for it to immediately affect me. 

30 something hours more to go!  Stay tuned.

Addendum: Sunday, July 17, 2011 at 10:30 pm:

Well, looks like I was right!  It was a huge non-event.  The 405 was back in business by early afternoon today.  As a friend of mine said, "Amazingly, Angelinos can refrain from driving when called upon." 

We should do this once a year.  Think of the benefits!  Think of the cleaner air!

No comments: