Thursday, July 21, 2011

All Landed Safely

The big news of the morning is that the space shuttle Atlantis arrived back on earth, landing safely in Florida.

The little news of the morning (but big to me), is that my little grand-niece and grand-nephew and their mom landed safely in China and are home.

I had been so worried about them traveling so far by themselves.  We're talking more than 24 hours of travel, two plane changes, and one young mother with a rambunctious 23-month old and a 4-month old baby.  I had prayed especially that Holly would have kind, helpful people around to help her throughout the journey.


Livia and a helpful Fredrik

My prayers were certainly answered!  We received this post from Daniel yesterday:

".. Holly arrived just fine at 11:30 last night. Somebody from the airplane helped her carry the kids down to the baggage check. We all arrived at the apartment a little after midnight, after which Fredrik played with his toys until early this morning. It was a pretty long night for Holly, and I really don't know when they are going to sleep.


"Holly told me that everybody was really nice to her once she arrived in Shanghai. Having a diplomatic passport made a big difference, plus everybody wanted to look at the kids. She told me that a big crowd gathered around her after a little kid saw them and shouted that they were Asian-Caucasian mixed babies (Chinese people think that mixed babies are cuter, for some reason). We'll have to get used to big crowds of people poking at our kids."

I really got a kick out of that, so I had to share.

I mean, I think our babies are cuter - but that's because they're OURS, you know?  I think this little family is going to have a very interesting sojourn in China.

My brother writes: "It's kind of strange to think that I have such ties to China now. I mean, it's only been 40 years since Nixon made his famous visit over there. It was always this exotic and kind of forbidding place. Now I have a son who speaks the language and lives there, and I have two grandkids who are half-Chinese. Go figure."

Indeed.

No comments: