Friday, December 20, 2013

Making a Gingerbread House



It's that time of year when everyone is frantically preparing for Christmas!  My "mad scientist" nephew Christian had fun making a gingerbread house this week.  He's a typical eleven-year-old, isn't he?

Have you ever made a gingerbread house?  It's a lot of fun!

And a bit of work... creative work...

My sister-in-law provided these photos of the gingerbread house decorating experience at their house this year.  She bakes the gingerbread every year and the kids get to decorate. This year the task fell on Christian's shoulders, but he was up for it!

All kinds of goodies go into a great gingerbread house!
 It looks like a lot of work went into this one.  I'd like to grab that Tootsie Roll, or maybe a roll of Smarties! Yum.

Getting things just right..
I love the very Norwegian Christmas tree in the background. My brother's family always does two trees. The other, in the formal living room, is done with Swedish colors.  (We're Norwegian; my sister-in-law's family is Swedish.  That's how they keep the peace!)  

How do you decorate your tree?   Do you put up more than one?

I have to admit I have a small fake tree I put up every year, but I live in a small place - with a playful cat. You have to know your limits, I say.  I know too many kitties who see trees as a mountain climbing challenge, and the Christmas decorations as their personal Disneyland of fun toys.  But I digress...

Here is Christian with his finished product - or is it?  I think he's still got some work to do!


Hope you're having fun with all your Christmas preparations, wherever you might be in the world. Remember it's the time you spend with those you love, not the money you spend on them, that's most important.  Long after the toys are broken and gone, the memories of loving associations remain.

Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments: