Thursday, August 22, 2013

Munktells

Fun among the heavy machinery!
Eskilstuna, Sweden is home to an unusual museum.  It's the Munktell Museum, and it's run by the Volvo Group.

You know Volvo - those car-making guys?  They also build heavy machinery.

Christian: Doing his job with steely resolve...
My sister-in-law describes this place as "heaven for an eleven-year-old boy".  I think she's right!




Munktell's exhibits show more than 170 years of Swedish industrial history.

Speed Demon?

Nope... not a speed demon at all!
Among the many exhibits at the Museum are the very first Swedish tractor, dating from 1913.  (I believe that's it, above.  If I'm wrong, sorry!)

Kirsti would make a good spokesmodel!
The museum also boasts the very first series-produced articulated hauler in the world.  It's called "Grus Kalle", or Gravel Charlie!

I'm glad these heavy equipment inventors and designers have a sense of humor.

Inside a simulator
Christian had the opportunity to be a pretend earthmover for a few minutes.


While Anders pretended to be a statue...

Just a couple of Hard Hat kind of Guys!
I gather that the Munktell Museum was a lot of fun for these boys!

No comments: