Monday, February 11, 2013

Winter Norwegian Style


Layne, my 2nd cousin once removed, lives in the country of Norway.  He recently shared these photos on Facebook.  I thought they were beautiful, so I asked if I could share them with you!


I'm not sure exactly where in Norway these photos were taken, but I believe he lives in Drammen, a town about 40 miles west of Oslo, and these pictures could easily have been taken in the vicinity.

My maternal grandfather came from Lier, just outside of Drammen, so this place is near and dear to my heart.


This Norwegian grandfather - my Bestefar - loved the forest and the animals that live there.  He was a big outdoor enthusiast.


Bestefar often lamented that if I 'had only grown up in Norway' I would have been an expert skier and skater.  I would only chuckle in response.  This uncoordinated bookworm would probably have been just as miserable at all those things had I grown up over there as I am here.

Just sayin'.

My grandfather was a writer, too.  I think that's the gene my brother and I both got from him. That, and a love for this beautiful Nordic home of our ancestors.

Isn't it funny how absolutely grand nature looks in her frosty white winter clothing?

Of course, I'm saying that from the comfort of my temperature controlled office.  And it's about 65 degrees F outside today and sunny here in Southern California.



Enjoy your winter day wherever you are!

1 comment:

Marybeth said...

Beautiful! I love snow!!!