Monday, February 4, 2013

The Streets of Seoul

King Sejong
I'm so proud of myself!  I now know who King Sejong is.  Good for me.  (See blog post of Nov 5, 2012)  I'm glad that my nephew has been educating me.  I have lived most of my life not having a clue about Asia. In my defense, I am up on Western European culture, art and history.  It's just that my knowledge of any country directly west of California, across the vast Pacific ocean, is sadly lacking.

Be patient with me.  I'm trying to remedy that.

My nephew Daniel is kind enough to let us share in his travels across the globe.  I love his candid shots of the streets of Seoul, Korea - a place I had heretofore only seen depicted as scraggly mud huts in the TV show, M*A*S*H.  This is obviously a low-budget Hollywood idea of 1950s style Korea.  The reality is much different!

Of course, keep in mind, these photos were taken before winter set in!



Seoul is an interesting place seen from the rooftops, also!

Yes!  The sign says TACOS.  It looks a lot like L.A., actually!


A sidewalk cafe

This statue is of a war hero.  He looks pretty impressive.
The statue honoring Admiral Yi Sun-sin is beautiful.  He was a hero of the Korean resistance movement against the Japanese in the late 16th century.  Evidently the Japanese tried invading them a few times in those years.




Riding the Subway

Fred at Times Square Mall
Wait for Daddy, Fred!

Times Square Mall

Krispy Kreme?  Are you serious?  Cool!

It's been fun poking around the streets together, hasn't it?

No comments: