Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Happy President's Day!

President Abraham Lincoln and President George Washington
Yesterday was President's Day holiday here in the United States.  When I was a kid, we'd get Abraham Lincoln's birthday, February 12th, AND George Washington's birthday, February 22nd, off school.  We'd sing little songs about them, like:
Washington and Lincoln,
You were both kind and true.
Today we sing your praises and we honor you!
Or this one (my favorite!):
When Washington was president a long, long time ago
He dressed so very funny, t'would make you laugh, "ho-ho!"
His hair was white and tied with bows
And he wore buckles on his toes
His pants were up around his knees
His hat three-cornered, if you please
When Lincoln was our president a long, long time ago
He dressed so very funny, t'would make you laugh, "ho-ho!"
His beard was long and black as night
It covered up his chin all right
His coat was down around his knees
His hat a stove-pipe, if you please
I think that getting two days off school like that was a pretty good deal back in the day.  Especially in (to quote Gilbert and Sullivan) "such a beastly month as February!".

Now, because we seem to need more 3-day weekends, we've got one Monday holiday, named "President's Day" to honor them - and pretty much all our former presidents, too, apparently, right in between February 12th and 22nd.

Not that everyone had the day off yesterday, as I soon found out when I tried to find someone to play with me! it was a tough job, but I managed to do some fun things anyway.

Long story short, I totally enjoyed my day off work yesterday, and had a truly wonderful weekend.  In fact, I was so busy having fun that I totally forgot to post a blog yesterday.  (Oops!)

Not a bad way to celebrate!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fun??? I worked on putting together our taxes. How's that for celebrating President's Day...

I really am glad you had a fun day!! Meldee