Thursday, February 21, 2013

Sohlberg, A Norwegian Artist

A Flower Field Up North by Harald Sohlberg
I recently visited the Norwegian National Gallery of Art's website and was pleased to find one of my favorite artist's works posted on their digital museum.  The National Gallery is slated for a big move in the near future as a new home for their exhibits is being built down by the old western train station, not far from the town hall (Rådhuset) in the Oslo harbor area.  Currently it is housed in an ancient building close to the base of the hill whereon sits the King's Palace, about a block off Karl Johannsgate.

(All the photos of these Harald Sohlberg paintings were taken from the museum's website.)

I have a couple of favorite Norwegian artists, and Harald Sohlberg is one of them.  His works are just marvelous to me, rich in colors and so loving in their depiction of Norway, a land that I, too, love.

Summer Night
If you are ever in Oslo, you will enjoy a visit to Nasjonalgalleriet, as the National Gallery is called.  My grandfather used to take me with him on visits there when I was just a little girl.

His favorites were all the romantic movement artists from the middle 1800s. (I don't think he cared for the neo-Romantic movement from the turn of the last century, of which Sohlberg's work is illustrative, quite as much!) Grandfather's sister Elida was married to an artist, and Grandfather knew many of them personally.  He loved art, and enjoyed sharing this love with me.

Night Glow
Even at 4 years old, the museum became one of my all-time favorite places to hang out.  They have a wonderful collection.

A Winter night in Rondane
The first time I saw the above painting, titled Vinternatt i Rondane, it knocked my socks off.  It was hidden away in a small room up on the third floor of the National Gallery, and took up nearly the entire wall.  The colors were so vibrant, I fell in love with it immediately.  That was my first experience with Harald Sohlberg's work, and I personally felt it would have been better showcased in a bigger room.  I hope it will have that chance in the new facility.

I don't know much about Harald Oskar Sohlberg (1869-1935) himself.  In his self-portrait he looks like an intense, and handsome, young man.

I try to go visit Sohlberg's works whenever I'm in Oslo.

Harald's self portrait 1896
When was the last time you visited an art museum?  What kind of art moves you?

1 comment:

Kirsti said...

I love the Summer Night piece--it captures the beautiful night light of the Scandinavian countries.