Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Hiking to the Falls

Christian
Okay.  I lied.  I had at least one more summer post in me!

And because it's 9/11, I'm think it's only appropriate to celebrate this great country of ours.  America is a beautiful country, from coast to coast, however the Pacific Northwest.possesses a rugged, wild quality that's special to me.  I can see why many immigrant Scandinavians came to settle in the states of Washington and Oregon long ago.  Those pioneers felt comfortable here.  These places remind me a great deal of Scandinavia and must have had the same effect on them.

Going for a hike in the beautiful Pacific Northwest is a fun thing, especially when you are 10.  My nephew Christian had a fun time this summer on his vacation.  He got to visit his grandparents and enjoy the verdant countryside close to their home.
Christian and his cousin Jacob
 It's always fun to see Aunts, Uncles and Cousins, too!

One of the highlights of the trip was this day hike to a spectacular waterfall!
Christian posing with the falls
This is Franklin Falls, about 30 or so miles east of Seattle.  It's not a long hike from the road, although it is a bit of a challenging one.

Black and White photography is interesting in that it makes these images seem timeless somehow.  In real life, this area is spectacularly, verdantly, green.

What did you do on your summer vacation?

- Photos J. Evensen

No comments: