Thursday, September 27, 2012

Avengers Assembled!

Our Marvel Heroes

Last week I got an email with the title, "Avengers Assemble!"  It was from a friend who announced that the Avengers film was coming out on DVD and inviting us over for a screening at his house.  So, a group of my friends all got together on Tuesday night to celebrate the DVD release of Marvel's excellent movie.

I just have to shout: Hooray!  The Avengers is out on DVD!

Yes, actually, I AM a geek.

How did you know?

And then, because of the famous shawarma (and very funny) scene at the end of the film (see above), we had to have shawarma to go with it.
Shawarma is a Mediterranean sandwich meal on pita bread featuring grilled meat and a yoghurt/dill/cucumber dressing and tahini (sesame) sauce.  If you've had a Greek Gyros sandwich, it's similar to that.
Our shawarma was accompanied by rice and a yummy tomato/mozzarella salad with balsamic vinegar dressing that someone (Thanks, Jackie!) made and brought along.  Oh, and there was also some dish like a sliced up quesadilla without cheese the name of which I was told more than once but have totally forgotten.  (I blame early onset senility.)  It was all very yummy.

The movie was even better.

We had a good time watching in my friend's home theatre with the gi-normous flat screen HD TV and the blu-ray DVD.  It was like being in the movie theatre, only better.  Well, without the popcorn smell.  And my feet didn't stick to the floor, but you get the picture.
For me the Avengers movie works on many levels: as a brilliant cinematic metaphor for life, the war in heaven and the general fight of good vs evil, an action packed (you can barely catch your breath!) adventure, a metaphor for the alienation in modern society, and as a story of true friendship and camaraderie.


Hmmmm.  I’m waxing too philosophical, aren't I?  Sorry about that! 

How about: I like this movie because they blew things up.  A Lot.  Oh, and Thor is cute.

I love my friends.  I love doing goofy things like this on a week night.  Thanks, guys! I think my super power is having the best friends ever.

What's your super power?


No comments: