Monday, September 10, 2012

Chopsticks Are Lots of Fun

Fred and his "Learner Set" of Chopsticks

Whether or not you are musically gifted, you probably know how to plunk out Chopsticks on a piano.  Did you know there are words to that familiar tune?

Chopsticks are lots of fun
Easy for everyone
Just keep a steady beat
One, two, three follow me...

When you're talking about actual chopsticks, maybe not so easy!

And have you ever wondered how Asian kids learn to use chopsticks?  ...A lot more quickly than the rest of us, evidently.

Fred manages his chopsticks fairly easily
I remember my first experience with chopsticks.  It was in a Chinese restaurant in Paris, with a kindly Frenchman named Monsieur Hauptmann.  He worked for Bull General Electric and met my father on a business trip to Paris.  He took us all out for a Chinese dinner one night.  His wife's father was (or had been) the French Ambassador to China, so he knew quite a bit about Chinese food.

I was 16 and knew next to nothing about Chinese food, chopsticks, or much of anything else, for that matter!

That night I got a lesson in how to use chopsticks.  It was a lot of fun.

Okay, I just saw this on the LOLcats blog and had to throw this in.
So, the question is, are chopsticks people superior to fork people?

Somehow, I think Fred will still have the advantage over me in this department!
Look!  It's easy!
Three years old, and, with his "training" chopsticks, already a master!

Funny, I'm suddenly craving kung pao chicken.

1 comment:

Kirsti said...

I can always brag to my friends that "my grandson can eat with chopsticks better than yours"! Fredrik is great!