Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Fort Lauderdale Fling

The view from the hotel room balcony
Whenever there's a hurricane that swooshes through Florida I wonder why people live in such a place.  Then I see a lovely picture like the one above and go, "Oh.  Okay.  I get it."

And I suppose Floridians could say the same of me living in earthquake country.

My brother was in Florida recently, and was kind enough to be my reporter-at-large.  I think he took some great pictures!


My brother writes, "... at 3:30 a.m., a horrible thunderstorm blew through.  There were flashes of light, as if someone were turning on and off the lights in my room, and then immediate thunderclaps that sounded like we were being bombed.  I went out on the balcony to watch.  it looked like the lightning was hitting the hotel, and maybe it was. [It was a 15-story hotel.] The rain was just pounding down.  It was quite a show and it lasted for along time.  I guess that's pretty normal around here."

The next morning, he walked along the beach snapping photos that I could share with you!  (Don't I have a great brother?)

Look at these spectacular clouds!


There was another storm moving in, and it started raining again after this photo was taken.

The storm moving in
I love the colors in the above photo.  It looks like it should be a painting.  All those varying shades of blue are spectacular.  The brooding sky is gorgeous.  And those palm trees make everything look inviting. Isn't Mother Nature terrific?

What a beautiful earth we are a part of.


I believe this (above) is what poet e.e. cummings would have called a "blue true dream of sky".

Nice.

Have a great day, wherever you may be in the world!

2 comments:

Marybeth said...

These are beautiful!

Kirsti said...

6 repansfSure wish I could have been there!