Sunday, June 26, 2011

Touring Shenyang

 Daniel has settled into life in Northern China.  He's in the city of Shenyang.  I'm glad he sent some pictures, to give us an idea of what it looks like there!  Here is a large statue of Chairman Mao saying "Hiya!", which apparently he said alot.  Right.  I think it's funny that it's so large.  He was actually a tiny guy, like four foot something.  I was so surprised when I toured the Nixon Museum in Yorba Linda and discovered the life-size statues of world leaders from the Nixon years.  Mao, in particular, seemed very different than I had imagined.

 This is the local park.
 Looking out from the apartment out over the Heping District.  It's a huge city.
 Here are some familiar brands that should make Holly, Daniel's wife, happy!

The local Mickey Ds! You can just make out the familiar golden arch symbol down the street.  (I'm loving it!) Daniel says much of the city is under construction.

Shopping areas are plentiful.

 
I'm so happy that Daniel is sharing all these great pictures.  It is fun to see this corner of the world that I know so little about!

Funny to think of people in China shopping at H&M, Walmart and McDonalds.  Those are the ties that bind us to people all over the world now.  Add in Blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Skype, and the like, and the world has become a very tiny, connected place.

No comments: