Thursday, June 30, 2011

Norske Pannekaker

Happy Pancake and Pea Soup day!  Or, if you are NOT Scandinavian, Happy Thursday!

All the men in my life are great cooks.  All of them.  I don't know why that is, but it's a good thing they are, as I'm not.  I'm not horrible, I just haven't had the practice.  (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

Case in point, my handsome brother Jay, seen here circa 1980-something, whipping up a batch of pancakes.

And my neighbor and his friend making a killer Thanksgiving feast last Thanksgiving... truly yummy!

And that's not to mention my favorite Italian cook, who is a master at whipping up dinner for 21 people on a regular basis - a feat that's made more complicated by the crazy food allergies, aversions and preferences of our crowd!

Speaking of pancakes...  Here's my favorite!

Norwegian Pancakes
• 3 eggs
• 1 1/2 cups milk
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon sugar

DIRECTIONS
Combine the eggs and milk in a bowl, or use a blender. Add the flour, salt and sugar, and beat or blend until smooth. Batter will be thin.  Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, and coat with  butter.  (Cooking spray?  Fogeddaboutit - to get the authentic Norwegian taste, use BUTTER.)

Scoop about 1/4 cup of batter into the skillet, and tilt the pan to coat the bottom.

Cook until the top edges look dry, about 30 seconds. Carefully slide a spatula under the pancake and flip. Cook for a few seconds on the other side, just until browned.

Remove to a plate, and repeat with remaining batter.

Serve with jam, syrup, lingonberry preserves & sour cream, or just sprinkle with sugar and roll them up as a finger food!

Yum.
You will probably have to double this recipe to properly feed people.  My mom usually just started with a whole quart of milk and went from there.  But then, she was a wonderful cook and could make anything from scratch.  
Have a great day!

Now I'm hungry...

1 comment: