Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Critters of Altamirano

Iguana tell you another story from Elder Nils, my nephew who is serving as a missionary in the south of Mexico.  They had elders visiting and there wasn't enough room for all of them, so someone was sleeping on the floor:

"So here we are, all asleep, and it´s like one in the morning, when I get woken up, because I can feel something on me.

"At first I didn´t worry too much, usually when I wake up from something on me in the night, it´s usually like a spider or something, which is pretty common here.

"So I go to brush it off, when it jumps, and lands on my side, and that´s when I feel that it´s really slimey. And then it jumps again, and I realize it´s a frog.

"Hahahhahaa so I hit it off me, and it lands on the Elder whose sleeping on the floor. But he´s totally out! And I´m sitting here trying to figure out if I should wake up the elder, or if I should just leave him there asleep with this frog hopping around on him.

"Finally I just let him sleep and the frog left. But it was pretty funny, a good little way to wake up.

An Iguana
"The next day we woke up, sent those other Elders back to their pueblo, and got ready for the day. Right when we were about to leave, the kids who live in the big house next to us came over and started telling us that the needed help. They showed us that in their swimming pool, an iguana and a bunch of baby iguanas had fallen in. ( the swimming pool was empty)

"So of course we went down there to get the iguanas out! .. Elder Dahl had the big one (you gotta be careful with that one, they can bite hard enough to take off a finger) Hahaha but it was pretty fun, the little ones climbed all over my head. We let them go only to find out that you can sell them as food for a lot of money, or just eat them.


"Apparently they taste really good, one of the members here told me that they were going to give us iguana next time we eat with them. Mmmmm iguana.

"So then the next day, at church, the primary kids find a turtle outside. We kept trying to keep them away from it, cause you could tell it was trying to bite them.

"....  this kid named Donavan .. was walking around with this turtle. He walks up to us and we told him to be careful, and he says to his mom, "no look! It doesn´t bite!" and puts his finger right in front of the turtles mouth.

"Which of course it bites.

"Hahahaha I probably shouldn´t laugh, because those turtles bite hard, but the kid dropped the turtle, and started crying, and his mom started laughing and telling him that he should have listened. Elder Dahl and I took the turtle out and let it go.

"It´s been a fun week with little critters. (found another scorpion too)"

"Life is good here, missionary work isn´t too hard, you never have to think about yourself, just how to help others."

And that's the news about the critters in Altamirano.

[I don't think I'd do very well down there!  I even have to call my neighbor in to kill the big bugs. ]

No comments: