Monday, June 13, 2011

Congratulations to a New American!

My beautiful niece-in-law, Holly, became a United States citizen on Thursday, June 9th.  I'm so proud of her!  It can't be easy to decide to change your allegiance, your nationality.  Hooray for this new American! 

Long ago, when I was about five years old, I witnessed my mother taking her oath of allegiance to the United States of America.  I remember it being something very special to my mother and an experience I will never forget. 

My mother came from the country of Norway.  She brought with her a love of her native country and its culture and wanted us never to forget that - yet she had a fierce pride in her adopted nation.  She would remind us frequently of the hardships endured in her native land during the Nazi occupation of World War II.  She would ever be grateful to the American (and other) soldiers who fought for her freedom in that conflict.  She was intensely patriotic and considered voting in every election an almost sacred duty.  I am thankful for her example in my life.

Holly is going to be that shining star in her children's lives as well.  Way to go, Holly! I wish I could have been there to support you.


June 14th is Flag Day.  Fly the Flag.  Be grateful for the freedoms we all enjoy!





No comments: