Monday, June 22, 2015

Street Hockey

Fred playing street hockey with the neighbor kids
One thing I've missed out on by living mostly in the desert all my life is getting a chance to play hockey.  Now, don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean I don't enjoy hockey.  What's not to like about sitting in an ice cold arena watching guys with great ankle control skate around and occasionally bash each other with sticks?

I mean that sincerely.  I love snow and cold.  I love hockey.  It's like the rain thing.  I can never get enough of it.

Mostly because I don't have to function and work in it every day.  Ever.


I actually have a friend who learned to play ice hockey - in Phoenix, Arizona of all places.  I guess you just have to want to badly enough.

But I digress.


In Ottawa, Canada, where they get their fill of snow and ice every year, the kids get a chance to hone those skills every winter.  And, apparently work on improving their game over the summer, too.

My grand-nephew Fred got a chance to learn some hockey basics recently in his Ottawa neighborhood.

Fred goes for it!
I've never seen the kids in my California neighborhood out playing in the street.  Ever.  Of course, they'd be immediately mowed down by careless motorists.

That's an incentive to stay indoors.

Excitement reigns!
We used to play outside all the time when I was a kid.  It's fun to see kids having fun like this. Don't you think?

Let me at that puck!
Go on Fred!  Make that goal!

And... try not to aim for the windshield!

No comments: