Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Stargazers


My friend Meldee and her husband Don have a lovely home in Utah.  She recently shared some photos of her beautiful Stargazer blooms with me.

That's when I decided I'd better stop complaining how miserable I am this summer and start posting about some of the beautiful things summer can bring!

I have to admit I didn't know the names of these beautiful lilies until now, although they were my Aunt Lillemor's favorite flowers.  The Stargazer Lily is actually a hybrid of the Oriental Lily group which blooms in the mid-to-late summer.  They have a very fragrant perfume and can grow up to 36 inches tall!

This particular type of lily was created in 1974 by a lily breeder in California named Leslie Woodriff.  She called the crossbreed "Stargazer" because the blooms pointed towards the heavens.


They are beautiful, aren't they?

Thanks for sharing your photos, Meldee!

Photo: M. Love
Please note that the ASPCA reports this plant as being toxic to cats (cats appear to be the only species known to be affected this way).  They are said to cause vomiting, inappetence (lack of appetite), lethargy, kidney failure and even death in kitties.  So, keep them away from your cats!

No comments: