Thursday, October 24, 2013

Visiting Ireland: Glencar Waterfall

Idyllic Ireland
My friend Lisa is quite the world traveler.  However, her heart belongs to Ireland, and her last couple of overseas trips have been to that emerald isle. She has graciously consented to share her ramblings with us in this picturesque corner of the world.

I hope you enjoy these photos as much I as did when I first saw them!



Mom armed for picture taking





I think I'll just keep quiet and let you enjoy the beauty of this place...




The famous Irish poet, W.B. Yeats often visited this waterfall when he was young.  He mentions it in a poem he wrote about the Irish folklore associated with fairies and changelings called "The Stolen Child".  Here is an excerpt:

Where the wandering water gushes
From the hills above Glen-Car,
In pools among the rushes
That scarce could bathe a star,
We seek for slumbering trout
And whispering in their ears
Give them unquiet dreams;
Leaning softly out
From ferns that drop their tears
Over the young streams.




Okay, that lamp post just reminds me of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe!  All we need is a faun.


I hope you have enjoyed this peaceful walk to the Glencar waterfall.

Stay tuned for more posts on beautiful Ireland!

No comments: