Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Pickering Ward Talent Show

"I Love Him!"
The Relief Society Rocked!
I rather love Ward Talent Shows.  They are entertaining, funny, filled with incredible variety, and sometimes surprisingly excellent talent.

Our Pickering Ward Talent Show was no exception.  Recently we were enthralled, surprised and thoroughly entertained by our own local talents.  It was a truly fun evening with my ward family.

The evening was filled with diversity - not just of music and dance, but of the visual arts, crafts, needlework and even culinary skills shown off at a delicious tasting table.

My favorite of the evening - because I was part of it - was the Relief Society's flash mob rendition of "I Will Follow Him".  This was listed in the program as a "dramatic reading" but quickly turned into something much crazier!

I thought our sisters did very well!  If the laughter, cat-calls and hollering of the audience had anything to say about it, I think our number was a complete success.

Another outstanding number was a horn duet by two outstanding teens, Elias and Christopher.
Elias and Christopher
But one of the best moments of the evening may have been the cello and violin duet played by my very little friends, Talmage and Porter. These little boys are just precious anyway, and the cello was bigger than both of them put together!  They performed an absolutely beautiful rendition of "I Am A Child of God".  I wish I had gotten a photo of them!

Levi and his wife Andy performed a really energetic and wonderful Country Western dance number which was a delight.  I couldn't believe the ease with which he continued to do spectacular lifts over and over throughout the number!  They were such fun to watch.
Levi and Andrea
There were also displays of all kinds, from photography

Anna's photograph reminded me of actress Zoe Deschanel
Sorry my copy of the photo came out a bit blurry!
...to fine arts:
Carlos' painting of his wife and stepdaughter includes a famous profile
It's taken from a photo, and yes, Timothy Dalton really was there for the original!
...to all kinds of crafts.  Even the hall decorations were really beautifully done.

There was a large turn-out and a long and tasty refreshment table
which you can catch a glimpse of along the wall behind Bishop Rodriguez.
It always amazes me what wonderful talents our seemingly ordinary friends and fellow Ward members have! Whether it's organizing an event such as this, or participating in other ways, everyone truly has a talent or two, or three - to share with the world.

How fun to have events such as these to help develop and showcase talents of all kinds.  I'm looking forward to the next one.

No comments: