Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Sacred Fools


The Sacred Fools Theatre is tucked away off Melrose and doesn't look like much of anything on the outside. Frankly, it doesn't look like much of anything on the inside, either.  My friend Robin insisted that she'd been here before and that there was a good acting troupe that performed here, so I took her at her word.


I was skeptical, though, even when she shared that actors with famous names like Patrick Duffy and French Stewart helped found this troupe.

                                    

Dusk was coming on as we arrived and parked in the small lot to the right of the building, the back and sides of which which were covered with street art.  You know, not quite graffiti, not quite fine art..  street art.  That's one of those things Los Angeles is known for.


One of the reasons I was particularly skeptical about this performance is that I have read Neil Gaiman's book, Neverwhere, on which the play we were about to see was based.  I had my doubts as to how they would stage this thing - in my head it took place in a huge space and had a cast of hundreds.

And did I mention this is a tiny theatre?


Neil Gaiman first wrote Neverwhere as a mini-series for the BBC back in 1996.  If you are a Geek like me, you probably knew that already.  Then it became a bestselling book.  The story is complicated and takes place mostly underground, underneath present-day London.  Film, TV, yes, I can see it... theatre?  I had to be convinced.

To my surprise, this was a fabulous show, imaginative and beautifully told. It had a wonderful cast. This small theatre is an intimate setting - the performers were so close  you could touch them - but that didn't ruin the illusion created by the performers with the help of the inventive set design.  I got sucked right into this show, even knowing the ending.
Waiting for the show (not Godot)
Later, after the performance, our friend Abbie introduced us to some of the actors (she knows everybody).  That was fun, too.  This is a talented group.  I will definitely go see a show here again.

Neverwhere's run has been extended through the end of May.  I have no idea if tickets are still available, but you can call the theatre and find out.  Call 310-281-8337 for reservations, or check out www.sacredfools.org

No comments: