Thursday, May 9, 2013

Drago Centro Los Angeles

Yours Truly at Drago's
I don't get to downtown Los Angeles very often, especially in the middle of a week day, despite it being about 10 minutes from where I work in Monterey Park.

You know how it is... I usually have my nose to the grindstone during the work week.  And I usually brown bag it.  But I recently got to visit one of the premiere downtown L.A. restaurants: Drago Centro, a luxury dining Italian restaurant.


Yes.  A Luxury Restaurant.  Be very impressed!

Chef Celestino Drago has created a modern dining space in a highrise tower over on Flower Street.  It is light and inviting.  The food, though, is the star, and it is really yummy.

That's one of those $20 famous restaurant critic words:  yummy. 

Just thought I'd let you know that.

Just to clarify why I was out and about downtown Los Angeles on a week day - my very kind boss took me, and our receptionist, Carmen, and our office manager, Barbara, to lunch.

I told him, for a skinny guy, he sure knows how to pick good places to eat.

Drago's features an unusual vertical column of glass  - a wine cooler that dominates the space.



We ladies all ordered the lasagna.  It came in individual rectangular iron dishes.  I don't think they are quite ramekins, but you can see them in the picture. They kept the pasta very hot.  The cheese on the top of the lasagna was browned to a crisp.  It was delicious.

Carmen and Barbara enjoying the lasagna
Crispy cheesy deliciousness
Lunch was nice, but the dessert was Ooooooh!  Wonderful!
Our Boss Eugene
I think my boss is a great guy to work for.  He is kind and fair, and often brings in lunch and does other nice things for his employees.

But, I digress... back to dessert.  Eugene ordered donuts and gelato.  It looked really tasty! That would have been my second choice. Carmen ordered a chocolate cake that looked really great.

Barbara and I ordered a dish that was like a deconstructed Napoleon.  Not an American Napoleon, but those wonderful flaky pastry Napoleons with real egg cream you seem to only be able to get in a European bakery.  Like, in Europe.

It came as three small portions of pudding, each topped with a different citrus wedge, a meringue kiss and bits of flaky pastry.  Simple, but delightful.

So, how do you begin eating a dish like this?  Left to right, or right to left?
I started in the middle, went right and ended up with the left.
I'm a rebel that way.

More, sir.  I want more of that.

That made my mouth smile.

Okay, to be honest, I found Drago Centro rather pretentious (with prices to match), but it was a fun experience, and the service was superb.  

Next time I'm going to Drago's strictly for the desserts!

Leaving downtown, we were happy and very full!

1 comment:

Linnea said...

A good boss is so important, glad yours is!

Looks like a neat restaurant. That lasagna looks yummy!