Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Swiss Chef

A birthday party was in progress when we entered the restaurant
It's been a very long time since I visited the country of Switzerland.  However, this past Saturday I felt like I took a small vacation there when I and some friends went for dinner at a restaurant called The Swiss Chef.  This restaurant is (of all places) in Van Nuys, California.  Not exactly a haven for Swiss or other Germanic folk!  

As it turned out, The Swiss Chef is a delightful place with real old-world charm and delicious food.  Remarkably, I also discovered they had entertainment, too!

Sometimes a little accordion music is just what you need...
An accordion player and a fiddler entertained the diners
It was hard to get a clear photo of these guys as they were constantly in motion!  Their music was delightful and made for a very festive atmosphere.

I can't tell you the last time I had rouladen and spaetzle.  They even had sauerkraut with caraway seeds, much like my mother used to make.  Okay, I must concede that mom's was better, but they took a close second.  

And red cabbage.  I love pickled red cabbage.  And hot, crusty bread with liverwurst spread.  Oh, yum!  Let me take a moment to remember it... (breathe deeply) ..sa-vor the mo-ment...

Okay, I'm back now.

We even got to meet award-winning Chef Ueli!  He came walking through the restaurant with his big chef's hat on as we were finishing our meal, speaking to all his guests.  I was able to tell him how delighted I was with the food I ordered.

I just had to share my special evening - my little visit to Switzerland...  via Van Nuys, California... with you.  Hope you enjoyed it.



No comments: