Thursday, April 11, 2013

Rest in Peace, Shadow

Shadow
1993-2013
My niece took the beautiful photo (above) of Shadow.  It's fitting that we devote a little space to talking about this little girl and her life.

Just to fill you in, my brother's sweet cat Shadow, aged 20, passed away quietly in her home last week.  She will be missed.  Shadow was the comfort, playmate and furry companion to a herd of children and loved by all her family members, near and far.


It's hard to get old, even for a kitty.
Checking out the Jack-O-Lantern, Halloween 2012
Although Shadow was in generally good health, she really began to show her age in the past year or so.  She became almost blind and nearly deaf.  She wasn't as careful about grooming any more, as arthritis, and a painful accident, slowed her down.

I have fond memories of staying at my brother's home and having two "rent-a-kitties": Shadow, and Maggie, to look after my needs, sleep with me, and give me plenty of kitty hugs as necessary.  Maggie passed a few months ago, also from old age.  It's strange that both of these little girls are now gone.

Shadow was clinging so tenaciously to life, I thought she just might succeed in living forever.  Alas, that was not the case.

Linnea and Shadow
My niece Linnea has written a beautiful (and funny!) tribute to this little family member in her recent blog post (see Jeff and Linnea's blog link in the Blogs column to the right) entitled, (Shadow).

I think you will enjoy reading it.


Shadow was one of the most beautiful kitties  - both inside and out - that I have had the honor to know and love.  I'm glad she was rescued and became a part of our family.

1 comment:

Linnea said...

I miss Shadow.

I love that first picture of her - it's one I took a few years ago - like 2009 - but forgot about until I was going through, looking for photos of her. I was startled to see how different she looked them. Her hair was healthier and more velvet-y, and she had a different expression most of the time than she did in her older age.