Tuesday, December 6, 2011

First Snow in Shenyang

Shenyang after the first snow
According to Daniel, Shenyang usually has its first snow long before November 17th.  This year was unusual.  At least according to recorded history.  According to Chinese records, snow hasn't arrived as late as November 17th in 2000 years.

The fact they even have weather records that go back that far rather boggles the mind, doesn't it?


By night, Shenyang almost looks like the good ol' USA.  Almost.

In the morning, Fred got to go outside and investigate.

He's only 2, so the concept of snow is still new.

It was pretty cold, so mom bundled him up really warm.  So he could hardly move warm, if I interpret this photo correctly.
Fred investigates the first snowfall
 My sources tell me that Fred liked the snow so much he had to be bribed to come back inside!
Bringing the snow home
Yup.

Fred had to bring some snow back inside with him.

Looks pretty inviting.

I remember living in snow, once upon a time Back East.  "Back East" is what us folks west of the Rockies call anything east of the Mississippi river in America.  It snows there.  It does not snow in Phoenix, in the great Sonoran southwest desert where I used to live, or in L.A., on the coast where I now reside.

Snow is deceptive.  It looks inviting, but the reality of living in it isn't as much fun as it looks in pictures.  Am I right?

I'm trying to keep that in mind as I'm experiencing "snow envy".

No comments: