Monday, July 6, 2015

Iguana Wish You A Happy Monday


Meet Iggy the Iguana.  He belongs to some friends of mine.  Iggy is probably three feet long or more (I have yet to measure him), and I have to admit he scares me just a teeny tiny little bit. (Sorry all you Iguana lovers!)

Iggy is a really nice guy, though.  He always cocks his head and acknowledges me when I see him and is attentive as I talk to him.  Yes, I may be afraid of him, but I always say, "Hi", when I see him and call him by name. I'm trying to develop a good relationship with him so he won't feel inclined to eat me.

Just kidding.

Iguanas are herbivorous lizards which are indigenous to Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean.  That means they only eat leafy greens and vegetables such as turnip greens, collard greens, butternut squash, acorn squash, and root veggies such as parsnips.  They also enjoy all kinds of fruits, such as mangoes.  In Panama, the resident iguanas love to eat the local wild plums.


California cousin Iggy loves to hang in the sunshine.  He's a laid back dude with a pleasant disposition.  His humans say he is a great pet.  They tell me he seems to have bonded best with his male human and likes to sit on the couch with him and watch TV!


Would you have a huge lizard like Iggy for a pet?

As much as I admire Iggy for being a fine creature, I can't imagine snuggling up with him.  I think I'll stick to the furry pets, like my cat, Jack!

No comments: