Thursday, June 13, 2013

Seoul in April

Seoul skyline in the fog
My friend Mark was sent to Seoul, Korea on a business trip at the end of April.  While the trip was unexpected, he reports that he had a terrific time.

One of the things he raved over was the food.  He said it was fresh and delicious.

Looks yummy to me!

Yes, that's a  small, but whole chicken covered with broth!
I'm happy that he took all these fun photos to share!

Get a load of this next one!  Do you recognize the celebrity selling the drinks?

Psy was a major celebrity in Korea
long before performing on Dancing with the Stars here in this country
 You may recognize the next celebrity, too:

Furby!
 Yes, that's Furby standing guard at a display near the entrance of a Korean Wallmart-style store.

Perhaps a more traditional tourist site!
The more I see of Korea, the more beautiful and interesting it seems to me.  Look at this next photo, for example.  I thought this might have been a photo of Mark's hotel.  Instead, I discovered it's the entrance to a barbeque restaurant!

Doesn't it look serene and inviting?

A popular B-B-Q Restaurant 
 So, on to more yummy food!

This looks like the start of a yummy dinner!


Make your own lettuce wraps
Kimchee is good.  This meal looks so tasty!

A statue of King Sejong
I love King Sejong.  If you've been following this blog for a while, you know who he is now!  If not, look him up.  He reminds me a little of the British King Alfred the Great.  Some people just deserve the appellation "great".

Verdi's Aida was being performed 
Mark often is sent on business trips to Cairo, Egypt.  Imagine his surprise seeing the Egyptian images in Korea!  It freaked him out a tiny bit... as if they had followed him there.

Okay, maybe it didn't actually freak him out.  It was kinda weird to me, though!

Celeste Aida!
Aida is one of my favorite operas.  However, it is a bit strange to see the Egyptian figures paired with the Korean writing, isn't it?

Evidence of America's influence is everywhere:

One of many restaurants with English names
What do you think the Witch's Kitchen serves?  From the sign, it looks like some type of sandwiches.  I'll bet there is plenty of brew, too!

Get it?  Witches and brews...

Okay, bear with me.

And then you have (see below) Nashville Bar and Grill.

Seriously?  Nashville Bar and Grill?  In Seoul?

Cool.

Nashville Bar and Grill
And finally, my personal favorite: Monster Cupcakes!


Do you think these are truly large cupcakes, truly awesome cupcakes, or cupcakes made just for monsters? Inquiring minds want to know!

Okay, I'll stop now.

King Sejong is waving good-bye.
Bye-Bye!

No comments: