Thursday, June 20, 2013

Relief Society Art Class

Shirley, Laurel, Yours Truly, Deonne, Debra, Amy (our instructor), Brianna, Ellen, Karin, Michael and Vicki
We got a lesson in watercolor painting from an expert last week.  The Relief Society sisters in our ward (congregation) had a lesson from the watercolor artist in our midst, Amy McKeon.

Amy has a wonderful talent, as evidenced in her beautiful watercolor painting below.  I really love her work.

Amy's wonderful watercolor of her husband and siblings as children

Knowing how difficult it is to control watercolors, makes Amy's work all the more special to me.

The photo at the beginning of this post shows our little class.  We were supplied with everything we needed to just sit down and have some fun, including brushes, paints, cups of water, plates for mixing colors, and watercolor artist's paper.

We were also given a still life to try our hand at: a pitcher and ewer with flowers and some beautiful green apples.  Then, we just jumped in!  We laughed and talked and got some coaching from our patient teacher.

What was remarkable was how differently everyone's work turned out.  I think that's really a wonderful thing.  Everyone's painting was so subjective and very different, all based on our very different personalities and tastes.

As Amy does such wonderful work in watercolors, it was a little intimidating to try our hand at producing something of our own - but we sure had fun doing it!

When I got home, I showed my work to my cat, Jack.  He thought it was very interesting!

Jack investigating my artwork

He was more interested in the gummed tape that framed the watercolor paper, than my actual painting. I don't think he's much of an art critic!

Thank goodness for that.

I'm not much of a watercolorist!

It was fun to explore and develop talents.  Have you done anything that stretched your horizons lately?  Try it, it's fun!

No comments: